Moonrock are the leading drone insurance provider in the UK and provide cost-effective, comprehensive insurance policies for commercial drone pilots. They won Insurance Product of The Year at the UK Drone Show and currently provide drone insurance policies for thousands of pilots. The business itself was founded by UAV Pilot and CEO Simon Ritterband after he sought to obtain insurance and spotted a gap in the market for a bespoke, user-friendly insurance solution for drone pilots.
Drone insurance is one of the most important things you need to consider before flying your drone commercially. Without insurance, you can be stung by incredibly high fines – sometimes in the tens of thousands depending on the severity of the incident, and you run the risk of your commercial drone business being shut down. At COPTRZ we partner with two different insurance providers: Cover Drone and Moon Rock.
Moonrock recognise OFQUAL 5 Pilots
Moonrock recognise COPTRZ as the UK leader for Professional Drone Training and have offered an exclusive discount on their insurance policies to pilots trained by COPTRZ. Any businesses with an OFQUAL 5 level pilot on-board within their drone operations will be eligible to an exclusive discount on their drone insurance policy.
“The OFQUAL level 5 for Chief Pilots delivers a major step forward in pilot professionalism and personal development. With the increased standards delivered by this course, Moonrock insurance will provide up to a 20% discount on drone policies for those companies / organisations who have a pilot certified to this standard.”
Simon Ritterband, CEO, Moonrock
What is the OFQUAL 5 Course?
COPTRZ are proud to offer OFQUAL Level 5 Certificate in Commercial Drone Operations for Chief Pilots. Developed by some of the most talented and experienced unmanned aircraft instructors in the world, it delivers the following:
- An audited professional qualification
- A clear CPD pathway
- Clarity and benchmarking for employers
- Heightened safety for organisations and pilots
- Increased job prospects for employed pilots
- Increased chances of winning projects for service providers
- Lower insurance costs – Moonrock up to 20% discount on policies
Why do I need drone insurance?
If you’re flying your drone as part of a commercial venture, then you definitely need drone insurance.
CAA regulations require you to have an ‘adequate level of insurance’ before permissions are granted for you to become a commercial drone pilot.
Due to the somewhat vague wording of ‘adequate’, we would strongly recommend that you look into the full cover for your drone. This ensures your business is covered for the majority of eventualities, as many basic policies will only cover relatively low limits which may not provide all legal and replacement costs involved.
I’m a hobbyist, do I need drone insurance?
As a hobbyist pilot, technically, you don’t need insurance to fly your drone. We strongly recommend you look into drone insurance because accidents and damage caused by your drone will be your responsibility. At the very minimum, we would recommend that you sign up to the British Model Flying Association, which provides you cover up to £25 million for both civil liability and personal accident claims.
As a commercial pilot, what happens if I don’t have insurance?
If you are a commercial drone pilot flying without insurance, you will face fines at the very least. If your flying causes damage to a property of people, you could be hit with huge legal costs.
If you’re hobbyist flying without insurance you will be personally liable for any legal costs incurred from any claims against you. This could run into the thousands and tens of thousands, even for a relatively small incident.
What are the benefits of Moonrock Insurance Policies?
- Instant purchase policies for drone pilots, eliminating the laborious process of providing extensive information, and then having to wait for a callback or email response.
- Their policies are all flexible. This gives the pilot the freedom to increase and decrease levels of cover for different job requirements and therefore keeps costs down.
- All their direct debit and credit card payments are interest-free.
- Business continuity – In the event of an accident they’ll hire-in alternative equipment, so there are no disruptions to your business.
- Invasion of Privacy & Night Flying.
- Public Liability & Worldwide cover.
- Theft of drone and/or its accessories to the full amount.
- Compliant with the minimum requirements of EC785/2004.
The Ultimate Drone Photography Package…
October 22, 2020
Incorporating Drones At Your Next Event
October 15, 2020
Drones in Forestry: How are UAVs making a difference?
October 13, 2020
Drone Thermal Imaging: Is this your new career?
October 08, 2020